.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Monograph

Thursday, December 04, 2003

Not given a different job

Sigh, not only did one employer not want to interview me, but when I wrote attempting to change their mind they complained to the recruitment agency. Chief complaint - how had I got the email address?

Anyone who runs an online company - as this one was - has got to consider their email address common property. I've been lucky enough to meet the heads of some big internet companies, a couple of billionairres, founders of hot silicon valley start ups and world class design agencies. The one consistent thing is their email address. Its always either

firstname.lastname@company.com

or

firstname@company.com

They're switched on enough to know that being contactable is not a bad thing, that email addresses are best when they're simple and that talking is good. I suspect that despite all impressions I previously had to the contrary, this was not a company I wanted to work for.