.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Monograph

Thursday, April 22, 2004

Much holiday stuff

I know I haven't blogged for ages. Here then is the run down of what I've been up to. Starting with this rather nice Dutch castle that Maria and I visited at the weekend. It turns out that the castle is something of a fake, most of it fell down a long time ago and the restoration was done at the start of the 20th century.

icecream and castle

It's still pretty amazing though. The insides (which I wasn't able to photograph) boast some stupendous architecture and wonderful ornaments. The whole thing is owned by the grandson of a Dutch count who married a Rothschild (I think) it was designed not so much as a restoration, but as an imagination. It's what the architect (Cuipers, who also did Amsterdam central station and the Reichsmuseum (??) and the patron wanted to believe medieval life was like. Plus electricity and the most modern kitchen of its day.

All in all a grand day out.